Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pescado Wednesdays

Today was probably the most relaxing days I've had in a long time. I woke up late, went to the library (didn't last there long being as there was no air conditioning and no windows were open), watched some TV online and did a ton of grammar practice out on the balcony (studyspanish.com!). Oh, and when the girls came home from school I sang some songs in Catalan, Spanish, and English with Laia. Hopefully soon we'll be able to get it on video. When the girls sing Catalan it sounds so adorable.

Yesterday I ventured to Centro Humboldt to sign up for my spanish class that starts next Monday. I've realized I really need to learn how to write down directions (or at least the address!) of the places I'm going. I don't mind getting lost but yesterday was a little ridiculous. I'm in love with my new school, though. It's on the top floor of a building right near a plaza and across the street from some Gaudi architecture-and I have an almost 360 degree view because of the amazing terrace. I can't wait to read my first spanish novel out there.

Speaking of novels...This is what I read right now. It's amazing how a newspaper and a children's book can be equally challenging in different ways. Haha




Anyway-I've learned a couple things over the last 48 hours since I wrote last..

-In Spain it's normal for an 18 year old to leave for the clubs at 1am and not get back until 7am (and they live with their parents throughout college-think of how weird that might get..)

-the McDonald's here has definitely conformed to the normal Spain traditions-lounge chairs to spend your ciesta, ham on almost everything, oh! and no to-go option, because why would anyone not take an hour to eat their meal?! Haha. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. Of course it was horrible paying 8 euros for it, but it was reward to myself for not getting robbed or giving up hope while being lost all afternoon. The ingredients tasted a lot fresher and the flavors were way stronger than normal-it was a pleasant surprise.

-It's best to teach English with the help of songs from Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, and just about every Disney movie imaginable. I have a feeling this teaching thing is going to get easier with the help of some familiar songs (But don't worry-I'm avoiding the songs with inappropriate lyrics-even though they do really like Lady Gaga. haha)

-the Spain water is safe to drink! haha random fact but hey, it's always good to know.

Oh! And one last thing I've learned. I cannot cook to save my soul. I can follow a recipe, of course, but there are literally no non-perishable items in this house, and when I cook it's frozen veggies and canned beans. There's none of that here. The most American thing they have are Dannon yogurts and Frosted Flakes, and the yogurt is for "desert" and the Frosted Flakes are for me to feel more at home. So today, for lunch? Toast and butter! mmm. So appetizing. But it did help make what was to come a lot easier to swallow....pun intended

Pescado Wednesdays! Oy vey. Since the kids don't like fish as much as other meats, they only make them eat it one day of the week, and you guessed it, that was today. So, mom-be proud! I swallowed down a tiny portion of fish. Of course, it was easier to make it look like I ate it because this fish had scales and you have to scrape off the bottom and top part of the fish. I didn't know this information until after my first bite, though. Thank goodness for rice with tomato sauce to cover up the flavor. But I did it! Oh-and it was called "Hake". I still have no idea what kind of fish that is...But it was black and blue after it was fried. Eeek.

Tomorrow I'm going to meet up with a true Barcelonean-Xavi-so he can show me around the touristy areas. The other Xavi (my pseudo dad-Gemma's husband) told me it might rain tomorrow, but let's hope it doesn't so I can go back to that Gaudi architecture and finally take pictures of everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment