Thursday, May 13, 2010

¿Como te llamas?

In two days I have a six page paper due to which I only have one page at the moment. And what am I doing? Writing in this blog, listening to Pandora, and about to actually cook myself a meal (a rarity in my apartment)

I had to translate for a shoplifter at Publix on Friday. Talk about an awkward experience. I was shaking and he was the one who did it! It was just simple questions, but it’s making me wonder if I’ll ever be fluent enough to be a translator…which i decided the other day would be so cool! There was a slight thrill translating for that spanish guy (who apparently thought stealing $8 worth of food was worth a ride in a police car)

Almost every day now I catch myself thinking in Spanish and saying phrases to myself. It’s weird-when you’re learning a language there’s a point where you go mute and it feels as though you’ve regressed. I now call it the “awkward stage”. You understand everything, but for some reason your mind is still processing how to respond back. I’ve decided I was in that awful stage for about the last year and a half. Now I’m in the speaking stage, where I try to find a spanish word for every thought and thing I see. Oh how my mind is probably exhausted. But how convenient, I think I’m finally in the speaking stage right as my trip to Spain approaches!

A quote from my favorite book at the moment, Eat, Pray, Love:

“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment