Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Yogurt Story

So today was my first day in months dealing with a bad customer...Who knows what corn meal is anyway?! Okay, I know a lot of you are saying "ummm...how do you not know that?" But I was zoned out and actually asked her if you bake with it, because for some reason when she asked I thought she was saying grits, so I wanted to make sure she really meant corn meal. Not only did she laugh and make some rude comment about how i don't know that, but she told a coworker of mine that she didn't ask me where the next thing was because I didn't know what corn meal was. GOODNESS. Sorry I'm a college student and don't have Southern relatives, Paula Dean. Okay. Well that awful incident today reminded me of "the yogurt story"

When I was still working in Customer Service I had one of most memorable, bad customers of my retail career. A lady came up smiling with a small basket asking about a certain yogurt she had special ordered the day before. I pleasantly called our grocery department, who took about three prompts to call me (but she was still smiling!) only to learn the yogurt hadn't come in on that day's truck. And then it happened. Her face went from glowing and delightful to a fake wrestler's mug right before they smash a chair on their opponent's head. It was the scariest transition that I've ever seen. But being the reasonable person I was, I asked if she still wanted to check out with me. She slammed her basket down on the counter, made some snide comment about how she hadn't gotten what she came for, and proceeded to do the classic signs of an annoyed customer. Foot tapping, looking around for the next manager to complain to, arms crossed, and the obvious sigh as she thinks about how she could possibly live without her yogurt.



To help you understand this crazy lady even more (or maybe, not understand her), let me inform you that she ordered ONE yogurt. ONE. So she was having a hissy fit in front of the entire store over one item, that she could have bought somewhere else, that she apparently couldn't live without. Goodness gracious.

When's that internship start again?

No comments:

Post a Comment