Yes, I know Florida summers are horrible-but in Florida there's air conditioning. Here they just open the windows and hope for the best. The last two days I've woken up in a sticky daze way too early because the windows are open and you can only sleep in a city so long without being jolted awake by construction or, in my case, a screaming 3 year old Catalan child. Speaking of, I'm getting yelled at by him in Catalan right now because I didn't respond to his high pitched screams for attention... Gotta love having your patience tested, eh?
Let's get on to what I'm actually supposed to be writing about-TRIPS and FUN stuff! :)
Saturday Krista and I went to Montserrat which is about an hour Northwest of Barcelona if I'm guessing correctly. We had to take a cable car up-and between my knees bucking together from my fear of heights and the Spanish man with his hairy arm shoving his camcorder in my face to take a video of the trip I was pretty scared! Things of course got better when I kissed the ground at the top and ate a dark chocolate croissant to calm my nerves. We then went inside the church and listened to some of the mass in Latin and saw the infamous Mary sculpture. Catholics from around the world visit her every year and then light a candle after waiting in an hour long line to touch her hand. I don't know the exact story, horrible I know, but I'm sure you all don't want a history lesson from someone who's not exactly a fan of history-I'd just be making a fool of myself.
Anywho-the best part of the day was when we took the venicular up the mountain and I could finally be outdoor-sy! I really miss being outside-hiking on a gravel path with no barrier from the who-knows-how-steep drop just isn't comparable to climbing up stairs in the stuffy metro stations around Barcelona. It was so relaxing up there! Ahhh..
Yesterday Krista and I went to La Casa Batlo-which is a house Gaudi designed for a wealthy family in the early 1900s. It was pretty-it was a mix between a Dr. Seuss wonderland and an aquarium...Very interesting indeed. The audio guide kept telling us that he was the "first" to use vents, skylights, etc., but I'm pretty sure he was also the first to combine taking acid and designing a house...Hey, nothing against Gaudi, but there was some weird stuff in that place (that I didn't take pictures of) that kind of creeped me out! Here's a sample of the parts I DID like:

I'm starting to think about my options for my last week in Spain. I had thought about backpacking but now it just seems like a lot of work for one person-plus it's lonely, expensive, and I don't want any hostel horror stories. The idea that I'm most excited about right now is going to La Costa Brava or some other pretty place (to the North) and just staying at a cheap hostel/hotel for a week to hike, go to the beach, etc. Just to have a complete week to myself before I have to go back to reality again. Because, contrary to popular belief, I don't have much time to myself here, so it'd be nice to get away right at the end of my trip. Feel free to shoot me your ideas!
No comments:
Post a Comment