Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Volcano from...Ireland

IT'S BEEN ONE MONTH!? I know, I can't believe it either.

When I came here my family declared that I had brought the warm weather because the day I arrived was the warmest day so far this year. The volcano apparently wants to ruin my glory. According to forecasters, the bizzare weather this week can be attributed on the volcano. It's about 63 degrees here right now and it rained on and off this week, not to mention it snowed in the Pirineos just the other day! It's mind boggling...

Just thought I'd show some pictures of where I spend 5 hours of my day Monday through Friday...




The first is a picture of the classroom and the other is showing a part of the terrace where we get to take our breaks everyday. Sometimes it's really hard to sit inside when all I want to do is go exploring...Even though I'm going to miss this place because next week is my last!

So I've discovered my favorite word: petardos. Petardos are small fireworks-like the ones kids throw on the ground or that don't require much running away because they're fairly safe. In the boonies, that is, not in a park surrounded by 5 buildings. Anyway, the end of the word "petardos" reminds me of another, english word, which then makes me feel a little better about the people setting them off at 2:00PM :)

So I got to learn more about tacos today. And no, I'm not talking about the delicious Mexican food, I'm talking about cuss words. Yes, because apparently in Spain cuss words are called "tacos". I asked about them because the girls keep on saying "Jolin!" which apparently is a toned down version of a really bad cuss word. Nevertheless, I find myself saying "Jolin"(ho-lean) more and more everyday. It's kind of like "jeez", which I actually taught the girls-but their accents are so strong it sounds like they're saying "cheese!" Haha. Speaking of cheese!

Tonight we had FONDU! And being the true Europeans they are they used cheese from France and Switzerland. The flavors almost tasted like they had added some vodka into the mix. Either way it was amazing-and then for "dessert" I had a banana from the Canary Islands. Mmmmm.

I also had some rosado wine during dinner, which Xavi told me would make me really sleepy, and then him and Gemma both gave me "the look". Haha. I only needed a small Spain-sized glass of that stuff and I felt like I had downed 5 beers! Europeans and their alcohol, I tell ya....

It was Xavi's birthday tonight by the way (I've already celebrated 3 of their birthdays! sheesh!) and we did what I'm now realizing is a tradition for birthdays: toasting. Everyone has to have a glass cup with something in it, and we HAVE to say the following:

Por arriba, por abajo, por al centro, por al dentro.

Which roughly translates into: Up, Down, in the center, and inside (you). Meanwhile you have to act out what they're saying-and tonight I learned that most people drink what's left in their cup too. Talk about a hardcore family. Haha!

Alright-well that rosado wine is really kicking in, so I must go! Hasta Luego. OH, and just an FYI: It's getting harder and harder to speak English without turning words around and explaining things awkwardly, so I apologize if it seems like a 3rd grader wrote any part of this..

No comments:

Post a Comment