So Saturday I went with my American friend Krista to Sitges, which is a town about 30 minutes outside of Barcelona by train. The ride out wasn't too bad-although we couldn't sit and there was an odor far beyond explanation on that train. Needless to say I knew it was going to be an interesting day! Things got better when we saw that there were clear skies (unlike in Barcelona) and so we laid out for the majority of the day. Afterwards we went to a sports bar which was playing the Nicaragua game. During the game, a song started playing and I heard the word "Americano" and I started looking around and everyone was smirking and looking at us.
I've since learned it's a song called "We No Speak Americano"...Lovely, right? It's actually really catchy but I'm not sure if I should like a song that makes fun of Americans...even though I'm dancing to it as I type, haha. But for the record, the singer speaks in Italian and not Spanish, so I like to think it's okay? You can Youtube it and see for yourself I suppose...

The white buildings and blue doors just make everything prettier!
Saturday night we went to "cheer" for the USA-but after talking to a lot of old spanish men in a local bar we decided we'd just cheer for them to not get murdered. And of course literally 30 seconds after I told Krista that Green should just "let us have one...", he DID! Hahaha. We got some good glares after that one! Especially from the owner, who we later learned knows a lot of professional football players! It was really cool hearing him casually talk about knowing players from Manchester, Madrid, and Barca. We also learned he met The Rolling Stones last week at their concert in Barcelona and was then invited to a private concert in Paris that weekend. So apparently he's buddy-buddy with these guys because he was then invited to a performance outside of London. Needless to say, I'm revisiting that bar again for some more stories and maybe some networking :) Haha.
Sunday was supposed to be my day to organize my English classes and really focus on my Spanish homework, but that plan failed miserably. I ended up going to Tarragona, which is about an hour away by train. I went with girls from France, Germany, and Mexico. It was a really nice day out and I'm thinking about going back with another friend soon.
A Roman amphitheater near the water
So I'm trying to really immerse myself and have really gotten into a couple of the songs (besides the lovely "Americano" song) and this one by Shakira is worth mentioning. It's got highlights of past World Cups, some good reggaeton beats, and of course the gutteral African sounds. The link option isn't working so you're going to have to copy and paste (mom..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JdCySC5EXc
Apologies if it's already blasting on the airways in the U.S., I just thought some of you would really enjoy it!
Until next time-
No comments:
Post a Comment