Friday, July 2, 2010

Directionally Challenged

I would like to thank my TOMS shoes, my Ipod, and my big breakfast for keeping my alive yesterday. Why, you ask? Well, I got lost. Yeah, yeah, Lindsay got lost again. BUT NO. This time it was for about 2 hours and who knows how many kilometers. Let me explain.

I got to the train station on time yesterday, only to find the info booth man going to lunch, in fact, ALL the info guys were going to lunch. Because it was 2:00pm, of course. Why would they need to help out people around that hour, no one needs to go anywhere! They should all be eating some ham and bread and spending time with family!! ....so that's where my journey stated.

I apparently got on the wrong train that stops at "Castelldefels Pueblo" and not "Castelldefels Playa". In my defense, it is NOT that simple. It's in Catalan, of course, and on top of that there was never an option of another stop besides the pueblo, so I got off. I started walking through some desolate areas...I didn't feel like I was near the beach...But I decided to keep walking and not freak out yet. I ended up walking alongside a highway. Note: I was carrying a touristy backpack because my MAC is a necessity for class, as well as all the other books I needed for the girls, a total of about 10 pounds.

So I happened upon the "Canal Olimpic de Catalunya", which is the HUGE man-made lake for kayaking during the Olympics, but now it's more like a huge rec center. I decided to walk through it instead of around it because I was attracted to the water! :) Of course 45 minutes later at the other end I realized the entire thing was fenced in, so then I had to walk around the ENTIRE thing.

After that I got directions (finally) and started walking to the beach. I was looking for a bus but of course none ever drove by, so I made the decision to start walking to the house. And folks, I walked from houses in the low 30s, to their house, which is #161. Yes. And the only person I actually passed on my walk was an 80 year old man who made kisses at me with his cigarette and cane in hand. Needless to say I was exhausted and was afraid I was having a heat stroke by the time I got there. And of course, what did they greet me with? FANTA! LEMON FANTA! In a small glass, with no ice. I've never missed ice and my huge gator cup so badly. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the little story about my day. I'm hoping today will be better, although the schedule for Castelldefels doesn't exist online and the guy might be on his way out again today, but we'll see.

Here's my route:


I couldn't mark the entire stretch on the bottom because I couldn't fit all of it in. Sidenote: I could use a GPS for my birthday in September...

No comments:

Post a Comment