Wednesday marked the start of summer, also known as the San Joan (Juan in Spanish) Festival. Most people were on "holiday" already, but I had to go to my last day of class. I got my level test back, which said I was in B1 still. I made a few silly mistakes but overall I realized I've learned a lot. Of course now I'm on my own-I'm going to start writing lesson plans for myself starting next week, and I might go to the library to find people that I can do an "intercambio" with. I'm really excited about my newly inherited free time :)
After class on Wednesday Krista and I tried to find the USA game-which resulted in us walking around for half an hour because NO ONE was playing it-England is more important apparently. We ended up at a restaurant called OBAMA (haha) up in the small top section of the bar, with the British game announcers blasting through the speakers. Not to mention yesterday in the paper it said "Ver para creer los americanos estan adelante de Inglaterra" AKA "You'd have to see it to believe it, the Americans are ahead of England. Sheesh. It's soccer discrimination, I tell ya!
That night we went out to eat at a great pizza place where we ordered sausage and got dry ham slices (my least favorite). I'm starting to think that whenever you order any meat they're just going to throw some ham on top, just for fun...As Krista says, they're "HAMAHOLICS!"
After pizza we went down to the beach-and wow-talk about a MESS. There's no organization with the fireworks-people are setting them off everywhere, and we even saw some girls throw some into an outdoor restaurant area. And on top of all of the firework mayhem, there was also random bonfires everywhere. Needless to say we didn't last long because it wasn't fun having to watch our purses AND watch out for fireworks heading our way. Nooo thank you. I then had to walk zig-zag style back to my apartment because it was a war zone on my street. It was ridiculous-they went all night and I was woken up by them on Thursday. Luckily I was getting up anyway to go to Girona!
Ahhh Girona-it's called the Venice of Spain because it's not quite as pretty as it could be, but it still has a lot of character. The Roman walls surrounding the city are one of the only ones standing after tons of sieges... There was also a pretty cathedral (as always..) and Arab baths! Of course the reason I loved it most was because there was about three gelato places on every block :) Yummm...All and all, a lovely day-lots of fun pictures and tons of laughs. Last night we went to a restaurant and had some Coca and Cava for desert! Coca is the pastry that everyone eats for the San Joan Festival, so it was a perfect ending.
Today I think I might go to one of the Gaudi houses because it's beautiful outside! Tomorrow Krista and I are going to Monserrat so I'm sure I'll have an update soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment