Story: Today I was walking home from the train station was kind of wandering, taking my time because I was pretty tired from being out in the sun all day. A lady sitting on a bench gestured for me to come over and started saying "I have something to tell you" (in spanish, of course). I just shook my head and walked faster. But then I realized something-if you're a gypsy and are planning on pickpocketing me, at least get up the effort to stand up, maybe offer a girl some candy or show me a trick, ya know, the normal thing to do. Don't just flat out smile with your partner in crime next to you and think I'm going to walk up and not realize you grabbing things out of my bag. After I had walked a little farther I looked back and the lady and her friend were looking at me and they immediately started walking in different directions. Needless to say after that incident I had a nice, brisk walk home.
Tomorrow my friends Mariana, Sydney, and I are going to Granada. I have yet to pack and I have REALLY tentative details about how we're getting from the airport to the hotel and just where everything is in general. I've heard it's had some serious gypsies-not the lame kinds that are in Barcelona-so I might even bring my money belt! Haha. We've yet to decide if we're going to Sevilla by bus on Saturday or not. Clearly my Type-A personality is adapting to the Spanish lifestyle. But I do have a good excuse! THE HEAT.
Today on the train to Castelldefels I'm pretty sure the air conditioning was broken and I was struggling from the heat. The train is my only relief from the heat all day because of my crazy walking schedule, so I was really disappointed. This weekend I don't think I'll be able to bear it any longer-I'm buying a fan!
Granada is said to be deadly in the summer, and the weather tomorrow won't disappoint-the forecast says 98 degrees. I'm all-around terrified for this trip. I know how to deal with heat-I mean, I DO live in Florida where the heat and humidity combination can push my car's interior over 100 degrees. But it feels MUCH hotter here because the stores and houses don't use air conditioning as much (if at all). So if I need just a small break from the heat there's absolutely no where to go. I swear, after this summer, 75 degrees might warrant a jacket!
This week wasn't too exciting-my 2 hour journey to and from Castelldefels everyday is getting a little monotonous. I do, however, enjoy swimming with the girls every afternoon in their pool. The pool has WAY too much chlorine in it, but I've been able to do laps, play Marco Polo, and in a way it feels like I'm reliving my elementary-school summers with them. We do word searches, take bike rides on the beach, and soon we're going to go kayaking. Not to mention they're always interested in talking about boys. Today Ariadna drew her boyfriend's name with hearts all over it! Scandalous.
My walk to and from their house. On the way I get to see Ronaldo's restaurant! (picture coming soon)
Yesterday Mariana and I visited La Perdera aka La Casa Mila-It seemed a lot like the other house I had seen before, so I wasn't TOO excited, but it was neat to see what inspired Gaudi to design the way he did. Don't get me wrong, I still think he did some experimenting with hardcore drugs, but it was still interesting to see his inspirations and then walk outside and see what he created from them.

Exploring the roof with its dangerous edges and stairs
My spanish studies are slowly sinking down the drain...I don't have much time to study and when I do, I'm exhausted from my day or there's stuff to do around the house. I'm realizing an actual house (not an apartment) is hard to take care of! All my groceries are fresh so I have to shop almost every other day, and then I have to deal with the security system, sweeping, hanging my clothes out on the line, etc. I still enjoy it for the most part though. Luckily for me I'm good friends with a girl who doesn't know any English whatsoever-so despite my lack of studying time I'm still doing okay with keeping my comprehension level up.
Oh! Oh! Minor accomplishment: A local asked me where a street was the other day, and without hesitation I yelled the directions (because she was across the street) and she didn't give me the "what the heck did you just say" look. Which means I actually made sense! She looked very satisfied with my answer and started walking swiftly in the right direction. I was REALLY excited, and clearly, still am.
So hopefully the Granada trip goes well-I've yet to pack and we're supposed to be at the airport around 5:00AM tomorrow morning, so it'll be interesting to see how everything works out when I'm in a sleepy stupor. Don't worry though, I'll be fine! If I don't return Sunday morning, just assume the heat wave of Granada has taken another victim!
No comments:
Post a Comment