Sitting in class today made me realize that I might just be broke for the rest of my life. Not because of failure, but because of the salary I'm going to live with. Let me explain.
Today we talked about "Greening in PR" in my Issues & Trends class and I was enthralled to say the very least. I even found myself with my mouth half open at times listening to all the different job opportunities and fun things PR people do in companies to "go green". After awhile I scanned the classroom and it made me realize something. I've been calling my parents "very granola" or "tree huggers" for the last few years (sorry Ma) and it's pretty hypocritical considering I cringe when I throw away something that could be recycled or see ways to reduce energy (turn your air down when you're not home!). All their talk about thinking about your carbon footprint had apparently been ingraining itself into my brain. I am more about "going green" than anyone else I know. The thing that really got to me was that everyone else was either half paying attention, laughing, whispering, or just uninterested altogether. I get how sometimes ethics in PR is boring, maybe research too, but the greening of PR?! News flash: This is what's going to keep your company going in the years to come and you're acting like all these people do is hug trees and recycle. All of these rushing thoughts set me up, as usual, for another session of "What should I do with my life (hurry! figure it out!)?!"
My conclusion after today: Maybe green PR is the right way to go? It's not always non-profit (i.e. Patagonia's awesome green system still makes tons of money) annnnd it's a growing part of the industry. And with the way things are going with my internship search, I can use all the open jobs I can get. Let me just mention, if someone told me two months ago that I could live ANYWHERE after graduation and all I had to do was get an internship with a PR company I'd laugh at them and almost 10 applications later I want to CRY. I literally want to go beg for a job somewhere, anywhere, as long as it's out of Pensacola and is somewhere I can really get my career going. That's all I ask people! If only there was a universal job system! Logging on to 10 different job sites a day can really wear a girl out! Especially when you add in volunteering, working, going to school, and trying to do all the girly things like actually wear makeup and paint my nails (who has time for that anymore?!). Anyway, enough with the rambling. Onto random things that are way more fun.
Things that make me happy at the end of the day:
Maci's squished face

Deluna Fest and Michael Franti(download his music!):
http://omg-facts.com/ (The link isn't working)
I'm officially an active twitter member (@lindsay929) and have become addicted to this site. Random fun facts that I know you've never heard about. Check it out!
Beatles songs on Pandora (I swear my dad must've played me his favorite music when I was still in the womb)
Oh, Paul..

I don't have a cool video or song for that one. Just imagine me going totally crazy during "Live and Let Die" at 8am in the morning, flailing my lanky arms around like a hippie and being awkwardly stared at by the dogs. Thanks, dad.
Until next time-
No comments:
Post a Comment